Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Keeping It Simple in SE Asia

Hi there! I'm quickly settling in to my new role as teacher in SE Asia. I am teaching English, Math, and Science to grades K-6! I love having a range of students because each grade is unique and I am learning to differentiate for the needs of each class.

The first day was a bit overwhelming because there was a huuuuuuuge language barrier. I quickly realized that I would need to be teacher + actress times 1,000.
:)

One major theme from my time in a foreign school, so far, has been the idea of simplicity. 
Keep it simple.
Funding and resources are short, so materials are hard to come by. Most of what I have is an expo marker and blank paper--and I am making it work! I posted on {Instagram} recently about the lack of curriculum/plan for me, so I have a ton of freedom in the activities I choose. I teach only in English, so vocabulary is the focus. By planning lessons that are engaging and active, my students are learning. HOORAY!!

This week, I taught about the parts of the body (Kinder), the Solar System (Grades 4-6), and the days of the week (Grades 1-3).

My science kiddos learned the order of the planets and we focused on the words "rotate" and "revolve." We began with a KWL chart, did a little solar system shuffle (LOVED IT), and ended with some acting as we rotated and revolved. To demonstrate their understanding of the vocab words "rotate" and "revolve," my kids made these foldables:


Let me just say, I love foldables! Foldables know no language barrier. 

In math class, I wrote the days of the week on pieces of paper and we did a days of the week shuffle (just like the solar system shuffle, as mentioned above). I passed out days/planets to students in the class and motioned for them to come to the front of the room. They arranged themselves in order and I asked the rest of the class, "days of the week in order? Yes or no?!" They would should "yes!" Then, the students in the audience closed their eyes and I had the card holders shuffle around. When the audience opened their eyes, I asked again, "days of the week in order? Yes or no?!" "Nooooo!!!" We would them put them back in order. The students stayed engaged and loved getting to shuffle around!


In kinder, we did a TON of singing and dancing to this song:


There is a {learn it} version, as well, that is great for beginners.

We also played pictionary! I simply drew a picture on the board and then my students would say the part of the body and point to their forehead, teeth, shoulders, etc. Definitely a game I will be playing again! It was great English practice for them and I think they got a kick out of my stick figure people.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover